Applying a top-quality material on your driveway such as an outdoor concrete epoxy, is a practical way to protect your pavement and keep it looking pristine for a long time. Since epoxy solutions are made from a mixture of resins and hardeners, they create a highly durable, resilient, and aesthetically pleasing surface once they’ve cured. This is perfect for high-traffic environments, like your garage or driveway.
However, enjoying the benefits of using epoxy driveway coating is preceded by a fair amount of effort and requires some expertise. If you plan on applying it on your concrete surfaces yourself, you’ll need to learn and follow specific steps. If you intend on hiring a contractor, there are some vital factors to consider.
If you’re looking to renew your old or worn concrete with this coating solution, let’s consider some of the benefits. Below, you’ll learn more about epoxy driveway coating, from why it’s a worthwhile investment to how to apply it on your pavement.
The Top Benefits of Outdoor Concrete Epoxy
- It Creates A Non-Slip Surface
Driveways are prone to accidents because they’re one of the busiest areas in every home. Fortunately, epoxy floor coatings can turn these risky spaces into a safe environment for you and your loved ones.
Epoxy coatings are textured and specially designed to be slip-resistant, so using them on your pavement can help keep slipping accidents at bay.
- It’s Durable And Long-Lasting
Although concrete floors are extremely strong and waterproof, they’re still prone to cracking and breaking down, especially when in high-traffic areas. The upside is that you can protect these surfaces and prolong their lifespan by applying an epoxy floor coating.
Epoxy coatings are well-loved by residential and commercial property owners alike because of the enhanced sturdiness they bring to any coated surface. And as long as they’re properly installed, they can last up to 20 years.
- It’s Easy to Maintain
Other than being extremely hardwearing, outdoor concrete epoxy is also non-porous. Some products boast antimicrobial and antibacterial properties as well. These features make any concrete surface covered with epoxy coating easy to clean and maintain.
- It Offers A High Aesthetic Appeal
Epoxy floor coatings come in different colors and designs, even giving you the option to decorate and sprinkle your concrete surfaces with flakes. But of course, you can also opt for a sleek and simple high-gloss appearance. Whichever your preference is, you can use epoxy coatings to renew your concrete pavement.
The Outdoor Concrete Epoxy Flooring Installation Process
If you want to reap the best results for your epoxy driveway, it’s recommended that you hire professionals for the job. But in the event you need to do the installation on your own or are simply interested in taking on a DIY challenge, here’s an overview of the application steps you’ll have to take:
- Prep the Surface
The pavement you are coating must be prepared first to successfully create a smooth and watertight surface.
The easiest and most common way to do this is by using a grinder with a diamond wheel blade. With this equipment, you can shave back a layer of your pavement to open the slab’s pores. This step is essential in allowing the epoxy compound to bond with the substrate better.
- Clean It Up
After using the grinding equipment, vacuum the floor thoroughly to remove any dust or residue. It’s best to use an industrial vacuum for this task as it can also pick up minute dust particles.
Make sure to clean the surface thoroughly; otherwise, the remaining particles can get trapped within the epoxy coating and interfere with its adhesion to the substrate.
- Start With the Epoxy Primer
Prime your driveway with a suitable epoxy primer. Here’s why this step is helpful:
- A primer helps you to create a surface that lets the outdoor concrete epoxy bond adequately with your concrete’s substrate.
- It seals the substrate and therefore increases your concrete’s lifespan.
- It reduces the risk of bubbles appearing under your final coat.
- Apply the First Coat
Begin by preparing your epoxy driveway coating. You’ll need to mix the hardener and resin thoroughly using an electrical mixer to do this.
After this, apply it on your driveway right away as epoxy mixtures are only workable for around an hour. For a faster and more efficient installation process, you should ideally have two people mixing the compound and another two people applying it right after.
Use a high-quality roller to coat your driveway. You may also opt to use paintbrushes for small sections and tape to cover the edges properly.
- Sand the Remaining Imperfections
Since you’ll have to wait for around 24 hours to let the first coat dry, new cracks, holes, and even dust trapped on the surface may appear. You can sand down affected areas lightly to eliminate these marks. You could also use a vacuum cleaner to collect any remaining dust.
Once all cracks have been sealed and the area is clean, you can proceed to apply the final coat.
- Apply the Final Coat
Now that you’ve come this far, this is the last and probably the easiest step in applying an epoxy coating. And just like in the fourth step, you’ll need a high-quality roller to spread the final coat and create a smooth finish.
Once it has cured for 72 hours, your newly coated driveway is now ready for use.
Bonus Tips To Maintain Your Epoxy Driveway
To enjoy your new epoxy driveway for a long time, here are some practical maintenance tips:
- Sweep up any dirt and debris right away.
- Immediately wipe spills away with a soft cloth.
- Never use an abrasive cleaner or solution for rust stains and other persistent blemishes. A kitchen scrubbing pad and hot water will be sufficient.
- Regularly hose down your epoxy driveway and dry it with a squeegee.
Choose An Epoxy Flooring Contractor That Checks All the Boxes
After going over the steps in applying concrete epoxy, you’ll now have a better idea as to how meticulous the process can be. So if you’re considering hiring professionals for the job, it helps to be equally thorough as well. Choosing the right professional will make all the difference and help you get the best results, while saving you time and costs.
On that note, here are some crucial factors to pay attention to in your search for an epoxy coating contractor:
- Experience – Since epoxy floor coatings can be tricky to apply, you’ll want to hire a contractor that’s seasoned and confident in their line of work.
- Previous work – A straightforward way to know if an epoxy flooring professional can handle your requirements is to look at their previous work. This information is usually available on their website, but you can always ask them for their portfolio.
- Technical Skills – A reliable epoxy flooring contractor knows how to use professional tools and top-grade materials to ensure your satisfaction.
- Professionalism – Since epoxy floor coating is a considerable investment, it’s best to choose a contractor who makes an effort to explain the details of the project and communicate with you regularly.
- Adequate insurance – Ensuring that your chosen contractor has at least a general liability policy protects everyone involved and ensures a hassle-free installation process from start to finish.
If you’re yet to find a local team that checks all the boxes, look no further than the experts at The Driveway Company. With over 30 years of experience under our belt, we have the right skills, tools, and attitude to perfect your concrete surfaces just the way you want.
Our team of specialized technicians will be glad to assist you with your concrete needs. Contact us today to learn more!